is a charity that provides end of life care for people living in Dorset who need our specialist support.
Our compassionate approach supports patients and their families, medically and in other ways, in the community, in our hospice and at home. All our care is free and reliant on public donations
We employ nurses, doctors, therapists, social workers, and offer counselling services. We work in patients’ homes, our hospice and the community, supported by trained volunteers.
Weldmar Hospicecare is an independent charity only working in Dorset. Around 25% of our funds is provided by the NHS – 75% of our funds are raised thanks to the support of our local community. We care for patients with cancer and other progressive conditions, such as motor neurone disease, who require our specialist help.
We aim to ensure all patients needing end of life care in Dorset have access to excellent services delivered when and where needed whether by Weldmar, or by others supported by us. We work alongside our colleagues in health and social care to ensure that we meet the individual needs of patients and their families.
All services are provided free of charge.
· We seek to improve the quality of life for those people by bringing relief from pain and other distressing symptoms
· We provide in-patient care at Joseph Weld Hospice in Dorchester
· We help enable patients to live as actively as possible and enable the family to cope throughout the patient’s illness
· We provide day services at Trimar Hospice in Weymouth, Joseph Weld Hospice in Dorchester, Yeatman Hospital in Sherborne, and in Blandford and Bridport Community Hospitals
· Our services also include physiotherapy, occupational therapy, chaplaincy, complementary therapy and creative arts, together with child and family support and bereavement care.
· Our Weldmar Community Nurses visit patients at home, in care homes and in community hospitals
· The NHS contribute around 25% of our costs, leaving Weldmar needing to raise £10,240 per day to fund our free of charge services through fundraising and our chain of twenty charity shops and six outlets.